Gnawing Pay Gap between the Highest Paid Hollywood Actors & Actresses
The list of highest paid stars in Hollywood for the year 2015 has just been released by Forbes and it fully justifies the Hollywood actresses’ anger for the gender pay gap. There is a whopping wage disparity between the total incomes of the male and female stars with the income of 18 top paid actresses totaling about $ 281 million while the income list of 34 top paid actors totals to about $ 941 million. A major difference of $ 660 million between the two! Among the whole lot, $ 20 million+ were earned by each of 21 actors whereas that magic number was reached by only 4 actresses. Let us have a look at who can be considered the richest of the lot.
Actresses & Income Levels
- Jennifer Lawrence – $52 million
- Scarlett Johannson – $35 million
- Melissa McCarthy – $23 million.
- Bingbing Fan – $21 million.
- Jennifer Aniston – $16 million.
- Julia Roberts – $16 million.
- Angelina Jolie – $15 million
- Reese Witherspoon – $15 million.
- Anne Hathaway and Kristen Stewart both earned $12 million.
Actors & Income Levels
- Robert Downey Jr -stupendous $80 million.
- Jackie Chan – $50 million.
- Vin Diesel – $47 million.
- Bradley Cooper – $41.5 million
- Adam Sandler – $41 million.
- Tom Cruise – $40 million.
- The seventh, eighth and ninth slots were occupied by Bollywood stars namely Amitabh Bachchan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar.
- Mark Wahlberg – $32 million.
On comparing the two lists, one can easily notice the gnawing gap between the earnings of the male and female stars of Hollywood. Though the gender pay discrimination is one of the reasons for this gap the fact also remains that there is a paucity of lead roles for female stars and that makes their task quite difficult.
Several other factors are also responsible for the income levels of the above stars. Franchises are one of the major factors for contributing towards the income. Jennifer Lawrence has X-Men and Hunger Games as her franchise movies. Scarlett Johannson has Avengers while on the other side Avengers has been a major income contributor for Robert Downey Jr. too. Mission Impossible was there for Tom Cruise while Fast and Furious was there for Diesel and so on. Endorsements are another factor and they have been crucial in the income earnings of stars such as Jennifer Aniston and Julia Roberts.